Thursday, August 1, 2013

BOUT OF BOOKS 8.0 GOALS AND UPDATES

I will be participating in Bout of Books 8.0. I am excited to do this again. I have participated twice before and really enjoyed it both times. Goals template adapted from here.

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 8.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
Time Devoted to Reading
I will be reading all week. I have work Monday-Friday and a few commitments on the weekend but I should be able to get a decent amount of reading time in.

My Goals
This time around I am going to shoot for 5 books, each in a different format (hardcover and paperback are admittedly practically the same but I wanted to round out the list). Last time I had a goal of visiting 5 blogs per day and I am going to stretch that to also include leaving comments. I am not going to set a goal for challenges, but will try to complete a few at least.

Books to Read
1. Hardcover: Thieves' Quarry by D.B. Jackson
2. Paperback: Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines
3. Ebook: Go, Mutants! by Larry Doyle
4. Audiobook: The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez (narrated by Marc Vietor)
5. Graphic Novel: Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell 




Updates
Monday
Books I’ve read today: 
Go, Mutants! (finished)The Automatic Detective (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 230 and 6h5m of audio

Total number of pages I
’ve read: 
230 and 6h5m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 1
Challenges completed today: Bookish Bucket List, Pairathon
Comments: I am actually ahead of schedule which is awesome. I had planned on listening to an hour and fifteen minutes of 
The Automatic Detective each day in order to finish it by the end of the week but I liked it so much I ended up blowing through 2/3 of it today. 

I also read all of Go, Mutants! by Larry Doyle which is a story about a high schooler named J!m (he's an alien) set against a 1950ish sci-fi backdrop. I really liked it. It is a quick, really fun read that has well developed characters. Doyle totally gets teenagers.

Tuesday
Books I’ve read today: 
The Automatic Detective (finished)Ex-Heroes (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 94 and 2h58m of audio
Total number of pages I’ve read: 324 and 9h3m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 2
Challen
ges completed today: none 
Comments: I didn't get as much reading in today as yesterday due to an impromptu dinner out with my dad, but I am still a little ahead of where I thought I would be so no complaints. I finished 
The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez. I listened to the audiobook for Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain (also by Martinez) earlier in the year and really liked it so I wanted to give another of his books a try. I really enjoyed this one as well. It is about a robot that becomes a reluctant hero in the style of pulp detective stories. Just like with Emperor Mollusk, the narrator was a great match for the work. It was a funny, clever book that often made dead on observations about human nature. Kind of similar to Go, Mutants! in that way. Also, they both had a talking gorilla that was a best friend to the main character which is a weird coincidence. The dude in Go, Mutants! was half ape/half human so not quite the same, but still that's bananas (ugh).

Wednesday
Books I’ve read today: 
Ex-Heroes (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 112
Total number of pages I’ve read: 436 and
 9h3m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 2
Challenges completed today: TBR list
Comments: Choir practice cut into most of my after work reading time, but I am still on track. I will probably finish 
Ex-Heroes tomorrow and try to get started on Thieves' Quarry.

Thursday

Books I’ve read today: Ex-Heroes (finished)Thieves' Quarry (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 152
Total number of pages I’ve read: 588 and 
9h3m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 3
Challenges completed today: Book Road Trip, I Spy...

Comments: I really wanted to love Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines (superheroes fighting zombies!) but ended up just liking it. The book didn't totally click with me. I had a weird relationship with it. I didn't necessarily really enjoy it when I was reading it but when I put it down for a while I was happy to come back to it. The characters didn't have a lot of depth and didn't feel like real people so I didn't connect with them. I did like Cerebus and Zzzap though. I also liked the back story behind the source of the infection and the glimpses into what went on during the initial spreading of it. The fight scenes were pretty awesome. The pacing was quick and it felt like the book version of a summer blockbuster movie. Not my favorite book of the read-a-thon but I did like it enough that I will be checking out the sequel at some point.

Friday
Books I’ve read today: 
Thieves' Quarry (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 142
Total number of pages I’ve read:  and 9h3m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 3
Challenges completed today: Bookish Mad Libs
Comments: Made some more progress on 
Thieves' Quarry. This is the second in the Thieftaker Chronicles series. I read the first book earlier this year. They are historical fantasy novels set in Boston in the 1700s. So far I am enjoying this one a little more that the first (which I also liked).

Saturday

Books I’ve read today: Thieves' Quarry (finished)
Number of pages read today: 121
Total number of pages I’ve read: 851
 and 9h3m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 4
Challenges completed today: none
Comments: Challenges for today looked fun but I couldn't get to them because I had some other stuff going on today which only left enough time for reading. I finished 
Thieves' Quarry by D.B. Jackson. This is one of the few series that I am actually up to date on. It is pretty solid. I like the setting which I have not seen too often in fantasy, but more importantly I like what Jackson does with the characters.  Also the central mystery and the information about the magic system keep things interesting. Side note: the covers for the series are so good.

Sunday
Books I’ve read today: Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters (finished)
Number of pages read today: 160 graphic novel pages
Total number of pages I’ve read: 
851 and 9h3m of audio and 160 graphic novel pages
Total number of books I’ve finished: 5
Challenges completed today: none 

Comments: I am so glad I saved Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell for last. It was great. There were some interesting panel layouts (as pointed out here) and I like the whole older protagonist who is questioning himself thing. 

Wrap Up

13 comments:

  1. I really liked the Green Arrow Graphic novel. I read that a long time ago and it was very well done.

    I really want to read Ex Heroes, so I look forward to your review. I'd also like to follow your blog but didn't see any links, how can I follow this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my computer didn't load the GFC button, I am a new follower to your blog. Good luck with the Bout of Books.

      Delete
    2. Oh no, your computer was working fine. I didn't realize I didn't have the follow button and I added it after I saw your comment. Thanks for following! I am excited about Green Arrow. I have heard good things.

      Delete
  2. Awesome how you are doing an audiobook, reading a graphic novel, paperback and hardcover, oh and ebook! That's a lot like how I do things :) hehe today I finished a graphic novel. Wish I had more, gives me a feeling of accomplishment lol

    Dee @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am hoping that the format differences with make for a nice change of pace throughout the week.

      Delete
  3. Love how you set up your list with all the different formats.

    Congrats on your goals today. Don'tcha love it when a book pulls you in & it puts you ahead of schedule. Win, win :)

    Happy tuesday.
    Now following via GFC

    ReplyDelete
  4. The different formats idea is a good one! And I love Green Arrow! Good luck in your reading endeavors - I'm a new follower of your blog via GFC and Bloglovin'. ^^

    -- Kimberly @ Love YA Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am looking forward to The Longbow Hunters. It will be my first time reading anything from the Green Arrow world

      Delete
  5. I've actually never heard of any of those books, but I love that you picked them all in a different format! That way, it sure won't get boring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with all sci-fi and fantasy this time around so I am hoping the different formats shake things up a little. Hopefully they are all good!

      Delete
  6. Wow! You are doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the sound of The Automatic Detective, I'll have to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete